"I don't mop up for anybody."

Monday, May 10, 2010

The Airing of Grievances.....Pittsburgh Sports Media Edition

This is the first installment of what I hope is a semi-regular feature where I participate in everyone's favorite part of Festivus....

Pittsburgh has more than its fair share of sportswriters/sports personalities. Here are my thoughts on some of the major players (or at least the guys I read/listen to the most). This is based on no inside knowledge whatsoever, just my opinion based on what I read/listen to everyday.....


-Ed Bouchette (Post-Gazette Steeler Writer)...Ed is really knowledgable and reliable about the Steelers and always has the "scoop." Probably because he basically works for the Steelers. He is all but writing press releases for the team at this point. Objectivity does not appear to be in his repertoire anymore.

-Dejan Kovacevic (Post-Gazette Pirate Beat Writer)...The guy I read the most. He covers the Pirates better than anyone one else by far and enjoys it more than anyone covering the Pirates probably should. However on the negative side, he always hides behind the guise of "I am a beat reporter who reports the news, not opinion" when someone asks his opinion. That would be fine, but that statement is often made right after he has written a particularly opinionated game story or article, like the one linked here. For another example of his opinion writing, see his response to the article/comments in this link. Why would you have to defend something if it is totally factual? And I have never seen a reporter so attached to departed players...

-Rob Biertempel (Tribune-Review Pirate Beat Writer)...Has he ever broke a Pirate story? I can't think of one. Dejan seems to outwork him tremendously. Not to mention he seems annoyed to be covering the team half the time. I think the only reason I even know him is because I went searching for other local options when it was announced that Dejan's Pirate blog was going to the Post-Gazette's pay site PG-Plus.

-Rob Rossi (Tribune-Review Penguin Beat Writer)....Most of the time, he is alright besides talking about himself a little too much. Other times, he seems determined to protect Crosby at all costs and run down Malkin. See the rip on Malkin's english in his bio here. I think he eventually leads a charge to trade Malkin.

-Chuck Finder (Post-Gazette Pirate et al Writer)....Chuck tries to win a Pulitzer prize with every article he writes. Wordiness is putting it mildly. Just try reading something of his and I guarantee that by the end you will either have a headache or have no idea what you just read. I would link to his writing but I don't want to punish anyone.

-John Perrotto (Former Pirate Beat Writer, now editor of Baseball Prospectus)....John seems to have developed a personal agenda against the Pirate organization after being let go by the Pirate Report (owned by the Nuttings who own the team) last year. In fact, he now claims the Nuttings have spies in the press box listening for any bad words about the team (here, will have to scroll down a bit). Not mentioned by John -for his own safety I am sure - is that if the spies hear the wrong thing, the KGB comes and whisks that particular reporter off to Siberia.

-Bob Smizik (Blogger on Post-Gazette.com)....Bloggin Bob might be the first person to actually become a better writer after "retiring." He still spends most of the time writing as what we can call his "Grumpy Old Yinzer" character, but will throw in the occasional well-researched and thought out article that he never did before.

-Ron Cook (Post-Gazette Columnist, 93.7 The Fan Host).....No one brings the negative like Cook (except maybe Anthony). The pairing with Vinny on the radio is actually a very good Yin and Yang, postive vs negative combination. Assuming Vinny can avoid being sucked into the negative abyss by Cook.

-Bob Pompeani (KDKA TV)....Just take a look at his Twitter feed. I know Twitter is not the most formal of outlets but still....Would a period or capitalization somewhere be that much to ask?

There are obviously way more guys to talk about out there, but I figured I'd end this before you started comparing me to Chuck Finder.

Thoughts on these guys or ones I missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment