"I don't mop up for anybody."

Friday, May 14, 2010

Do I Hear a Rivalry?

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish and Miami Hurricanes are in discussions to begin renewing their football rivalry as soon as the 2012 season.

If the year were 1993, I might be excited about that. It's not, and I'm not.

Since 2003, Notre Dame is 46-40 overall and 1-4 in bowl games. During the same span, Miami is 57-31, and 3-3 in bowl games. Pretty mediocre.

I'm Irish-Catholic. I haven't forgotten what Saturday afternoons were like in my house as a kid when ND played the 'Canes. Everyone was so nervous about the game that we hardly spoke until after it was over.

Now, there's silence about the rivalry's revival for a different reason. Prolonged mediocrity has been deafening.

Go ND! I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Religion always seems to play a part in Notre Dame discussions and their supreme stature. Is there a statistic on how many Notre Dame athletes are even Catholic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If people think that Irish Catholics rooting for an Irish Catholic school is snobbish, so be it. The problem doesn't lie with the ND fans, but rather, those that get annoyed by the First Amendment.

    As for your Q, I checked but couldn't find an actual stat. Personally, I don't care what religion the players are that they recruit as long as they represent the uniform they are wearing with class.

    ReplyDelete