"I don't mop up for anybody."

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What makes Crosby so great?

Sidney Crosby is my favorite athlete. I think he's the best player in hockey and a wonderful human being.

Sometimes, though, I find myself wondering how great he is. His best highlights don't quite drop your jaw like Mario Lemieux's or even Alexander Ovechkin's (warning: this clip made me throw up in my mouth.) Nobody did what Mario could do. Nobody can do what Ovechkin can do, as much as I hate to admit it.

Here's the thing: I don't think I've seen Crosby make a play that nobody else can make.

His goal in game 6 is a good example of the quickness, hands, vision, and knack for being in the right place that we all point to as proof of his greatness. But Tyler Kennedy could have scored that goal.

Other players can pass like he can. Other players can score as prolifically as he can. Other players are fundamentally sound and play relentless defense. Other players are better in faceoffs. Others are great captains and raise their game when it matters.

What makes him the best player in hockey, I suppose, is that nobody puts it all in the same package like Crosby does. I have a man-crush on him because of it and I don't care who knows it. But I still have the same nagging question... is being really good at almost everything the same as being truly great?


2 comments:

  1. Jim, in the future could you put the 'man crush' statements at the beginning of your posts so I can stop reading then and not wait until the end.

    ReplyDelete