"I don't mop up for anybody."

Friday, May 21, 2010

Hoosiers

The other day, Bird and I were talking about our favorite sports movies. While Bird was fixated on "BASEketball," the modern version of "The Bad News Bears," and "The Legend of Bagger Vance," I insisted that he sit down and watch "Hoosiers."

(Alright. I'll admit that Bird only truly likes "BASEketball," but if you like movies like that, aren't you bound to also like "No Holds Barred?" and "Rocky V"????)

On to Hoosiers.

The 1986 movie, starring Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper, is the best sports movie ever made. (ESPN agrees). It's a story that's loosely based on Indiana's Milan High School's 1954 State Basketball Championship. Back then, all high schools--regardless of size--played in one state championship tournament. Milan High's enrollment was 161 students that year. I won't talk more about the movie itself, because I can't do it justice.

If you haven't seen it, buy it now.

Here are some awesome links that Hoosiers fans will enjoy:


(go to this site to get autographed pics from the cast)



Movie mistakes (yes, there were some)...

Jimmy Chitwood's character was based on a guy named Bobby Plump...


15 comments:

  1. Honorable Mention: Remember the Titans, man do I love that movie

    And just wanted to add some movie speeches as well..

    Al Pacino's half time speech in Any Given Sunday
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk

    Or Kurt Russell in Miracle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwpTj_Z9v-c

    Friday Night Lights:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYN4jnA8fKs

    I don't know how any fat old former athletes can listen to those and not get chills (and almost tears) reliving their former greatness on the field instead of just on PS3.

    One more link for self indulgence:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOmQJhHfGf8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Field of Dreams, Remember the Titans and Miracle would all be ahead of Hoosiers for me, excellent movie though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought for sure we'd have a Bull Durham, Caddyshack, Raging Bull, or Rocky by now.

    Ryan, great clips. Especially like the one from Miracle. Copy and paste, people.

    JJ--Rudy makes my top 5.

    Chris--bad news. Bird also loves Field of Dreams.

    Bird would probably pick "Radio" over "Rudy," "The Replacements" over "Remember the Titans," and "The Mighty Ducks" over "Miracle."

    Yes, Bird, your taste in movies is that strange to me. Popcorn, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with Anthony the Great on this one. Hoosiers is the best Sports/Basketball movie ever made.

    Top Five Basketball Movies
    1. Hoosiers
    2. Teen Wolf
    3. The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh
    4. Whie Men Can't Jump
    5. Blue Chips

    ReplyDelete
  5. Commissioner: Bird probably likes Teen Wolf 2 more than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is not surprising seeing that he likes "Field of Dreams". That maybe the 2nd worst sports movie ever, next to "A League of Their Own"
    Notice my mistake in my previous post
    4. Whie Men Can't Jump
    Correction
    4. White Men Can't Jump

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anthony makes fun of my movie taste just cause I don't view "The Boondock Saints" as a five star movie like he does. Its solid but not jump out of your seat awesome.

    Hoosiers is great but not the greatest sports movie ever (will give you basketball though). BASEketball is great for other reasons. Basically so dumb its hilarious.

    Contenders for me are Field of Dreams, Miracle, The Wrestler, Jerry McGuire, Remember the Titans, Rocky, and Friday Night Lights.

    If I have to pick a greatest, I go Field of Dreams. Miracle is a close second and the rest are right there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anthony should know better on saying I like The Replacements.

    That is a Keanu Reeves movie. There is no worse actor than Keanu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One more thing...When I was thinking about "The Wrestler" the true worst sports movie ever popped into my head. And its not even close.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_to_Rumble

    ReplyDelete
  10. At the risk of taking extra flack, I enjoyed "Invincible" with Mark Wahlberg.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Commissioner--apparently white men can't spell, either.

    Bird--you are forgetting that you gave 3:10 to Yuma 5 stars. Sorry, but anything higher than 3 stars for that is absurd. Good, but FAR from great.

    JJ--your love of NKOTB has affected your judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Field of Dreams was a cool idea and was interesting. But best of all time? Not in my top 5.

    ReplyDelete