"I don't mop up for anybody."

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Wake Me for the Third....Pens vs. Habs Game 3

I'll be honest. I barely made it through the first two periods last night. There are typically very few things more intense than a close NHL playoff game. Last night was an exception, at least for awhile.

Here are a couple of really boring things that are infinitely more entertaining than watching New Jersey Montreal sit back in a neutral zone trap style and wait for a mistake (and the Pens allowing them to do it):

-The NFL Draft Scouting Combine. The NFL Network actually airs college kids running 40 yard dashes and lifting weights. I watched for an hour one time and will regret it for the rest of my life.

-The MLB Draft. No way this should be televised, but it was last year for the first time. Most players aren't playing in the majors for at least 3 or 4 years. And over half the guys drafted won't even sign. And there are 50 rounds! Sign me up.

-Running on a treadmill. I just can't do it. I end up staring at the time left screen or miles traveled screen from about 30 seconds in on. There is not a thing in the world that makes time move slower for me than a treadmill. That half hour seems like 6 months.

However, the third period was much more fun to watch. Play opened up a bit as both teams realized somebody had to score to win. And when things open up, the Pens skill is usually going to win out....You had Malkin doing what he does on the power play, Fleury being dominant late when he needed to be (much better than "average" I would say), and a well deserving Pascal Dupuis throwing in an empty netter.

Two other notes:

-Expected better from the Montreal fans. Between expecting a penalty anytime a Canadien fell to the ice and chanting "Crosby Sucks" like the lovable Philly fans, they seemed to be the ones doing the whining that Sid gets accused of.

-Am I the only one that noticed Steigerwald's fascination with PK Subban? He seems to love just saying his full name. Sort of like when they play Fedor Tyutin. For the longest time, I had no idea that was his whole name. I thought his last name was Federtutin (who knows what I thought his first name was).


It was not a work of art by any means, but the Pens are back on track to take this series in five or six games.

9 comments:

  1. Obviously, Bird is not an accomplished hockey player or fan. The first tip off or should I say face off (and not the movie) is that you thought the first and second periods were boring. Goal tending alone for the Penguins (Fluery) was off the charts from the start of the game. If that doesn't get your ticker going, then you must have been one of the clocks in the 1993 Nissan in Times Square.

    What kind of prediction is 5 or 6 games? That's lame. Why not just say they will win the best of seven.

    And by the way, Homer Simpson is probably in better shape than you, so please don't hide behind his physique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. someone should know how to spell Fleury before they criticize another on being an accomplished hockey player or fan....

    and two, this blog looks quite familiar...

    lessons on being classy from Philly and the obsession with PK Subban....I think I heard that somewhere = )

    perhaps the young sister knows what she is talking about...

    ..and the Fedor Tyutin name misunderstanding, is hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous (obviously):

    Hockey games can be boring. It is possible. Ask the Minnesota Wild or Devils. Just like every Steeler game isn't the most exciting thing in the world. Or every baseball game.

    I love a low scoring, one goal could win it type game if there is action happening as much as the next guy. That wasn't last night's first two periods. The third period was because it started to go end to end.

    But hey if you like the trap and limited offensive chances for both teams (What great chances did MAF face in the first by the way?), thats cool. I just have a different opinion on what makes for exciting hockey. It doesn't necessarily have to be goals. But there at least needs to be scoring chances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle...

    Perhaps you do. And any excuse to mention Fedor Tyutin has to be taken advantage of. Paul Steigerwald would be disappointed otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and as Steigerwald mentioned, it doesn't stand for "penalty killer"....um yeah, its actually Pernell-Karl...

    ..and if Fedortyutin was a last name, I could see the first name being Alexander, Evgeni, or insert any popular Russian name...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bird...will it be 5 or 6 games? The anonymous poster is calling you out...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'll go five games I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danielle is obviously a chick and doesn't deserve to weighin (is spelling all your concerned with, what are you a grammar / spelling teacher). It looks like maybe only this Anthony the Weight, oh I mean the Great has the weigh in ability. Clearly, to me anyway, is that Anthony rules the roost. Glad to see a definitive answer on 5 games, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bird. I promise I am not the anonymous blogger. It sounds to me like someone has you in their sights. How does it feel to have your first "fan?"

    ReplyDelete