"I don't mop up for anybody."

Sunday, May 30, 2010

World Cup 2010

I am not a huge soccer guy. I understand the game and played it for years as a kid (who didn't really). I stumble across the occasional match on ESPN or Fox Soccer Channel (those stumbles are bound to get more often as FSC is now in HD on Dish), but don't go out of my way to watch the Premier League or Champions League like some.

However, I love the World Cup and will go out of my way to watch as much as possible.  Its the only true "World" competition. What other sport does every single country in the world play? Just qualifying for the World Cup is more intense than most sporting events. And every single game in the actual World Cup is played like guys lives are on the line.

Some basic story lines I will be watching when the World Cup starts in less than two weeks:

-Is this finally the year the USA makes a significant run? We have been told for 20 years that soccer was this close to breaking through in the States as a major sport. American's love winners. I just don't see soccer clicking a big time sport if we don't have a strong showing in the most important tournament at some point. This could be the year we make some noise. The draw could have been a lot worse with England, Algeria, and Slovenia. Anything less than a trip to the knockout round is a huge disappointment.

-How will chronic underachievers Spain blow it this time? Constantly one of the favorites, Spain always comes into the World Cup on a roll but finds a way to lose when it counts...

-How will Diego Maradona do as coach of Argentina? One of the best players of all time who scored one of the most famous and controversial goals of all time, he has been a bit crazy as coach...Read the captions on this rant to see what i mean. He also has had some drug and weight problems since retiring. Who knows what to expect? Especially since he has who many think is the best player in the world right now: Messi.

-How will South Africa do as the host in administering the tournament (this is the biggest event ever to be held on the Continent of Africa I believe). If it is run well logistically, Africa could become a realistic player down the line in other international competitions like the Olympics.

-What country will come out of seemingly nowhere to make a run? My options are Ivory Coast, South Africa (host country), Greece, Netherlands, and Cameroon.

These are just a few. There are literally hundreds of other storyline that will play out over the monthly long tournament...Can Italy repeat? Is this England's year? Is Brazil still the safe bet to win?.....

I will anxiously watching them all play out and waiting for an awesome goal call like this one (about 20 seconds in).

2 comments:

  1. Brian, I didn't think blog posts could be more boring than yours about the Pirates. Wow, was I wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotcha. Maybe I will be sure to stick to normal yinzer topics like what color shoes Hines Ward is wearing to OTAs from now on. How dare I branch out.

    ReplyDelete